Author Topic: Nokian Weatherproof tyres - just brilliant  (Read 10256 times)

Offline aeroadster

• TS Class
  • 6 SL estate
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
Nokian Weatherproof tyres - just brilliant
« on: December 28, 2017, 11:33:09 pm »
I thought I would leave it a while before I posted my feedback on the these all weather tyres.

I first read about these wet weather "A" rated braking Weatherproof tyres shortly after I bought my SL nearly two years ago, and after writing to Nokian I was disappointingly told they weren't intending on making them in the 225 45 R18 size.

I wrote back to Nokian explaining that their WR D4 snow tyre was great, but it was a PITA to change tyres over for 3-4months of the year and that no other reputable company offered all weather tyres in that format at that time with the A rating.   So I was pleased to see that they launched this size earlier this year.

It was also a rated as a very quiet tyre at 69dB.

The Nokians lived up to their brief.  Over the last 4 weeks, they have handled snow and ice with aplomb where other vehicles were stranded.  Having previously raced over ice and snow and compared the difference between summer tyres vs all weather/winter tyres, I could feel the difference as they never failed to give me anything other than predictable grip and control.

The other more surprising aspects were:
  • the NVH from all previous summer tyres was no longer prevalent
  • there was not much more pronounced roll through corners
  • they are so quiet that there's almost no audible tyre noise at 70mph (just wind noise), and I can listen to pod casts being played through my mobile without using the bluetooth through the  car speakers
  • they perform really well in the dry
  • I'm still getting 52-54MPG for my motorway journeys and I believe the low rolling resistance characteristic are better than those of the Dunlops.  Another 5000miles will tell.

These are by far the best tyres that this 6 has been shod with.

Up until now, I'd been running the Dunlop Sport Max RT tyres that were A rated for wet braking and as these were a Jag fitment they were allegedly a quieter 68dB.  They were much better than the Pirelli Cinturato P7 and Continental combos which I disliked as they tramlined along any lines in the road.  However, I still found the Dunlops to be a little noisy at all speeds, even though they were quieter than the other previous tyres.

My only reservation is that I doubt they will last as long as the Dunlops did.  I have done over 40,000miles in my Dunlops and mostly on the M1 and the country lanes of Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Scotland.  However, the lower NVH and noticeably quieter ride of the Nokians make owning this 6 a bigger pleasure than before.  My 4 - 6 hour drives are no longer a chore and I can drive continuously without feeling as tired.

I had a choice of the Nokians or the Michelin CrossClimate 2 which I put onto my wife's car, and given the recent snow flurries we had, I prefer the Nokians.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
Re: Nokian Weatherproof tyres - just brilliant
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:29:34 am »
That is a good tyre. I was reading a test online and these came up as the third best option overall and one of the best for snow conditions:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-20172018-results-by-category

If you get all the benefits you want without a consumption penalty, then it is a great option for your driving style. What is the price difference with the summer tyres you had?

Somewhere I read that winter tyres use more natural (less synthetic) rubber so that they are softer to handle the colder conditions and that is the reason that they do not last as long as the summer tyres. But on the other hand, if you need to move the car no matter what the weather is, then this is a small penalty to pay.

Do you think that the 6 with all weather tyres is good enough to tackle snow conditions without the need to pass on a four wheel drive car like an Outback?

Offline aeroadster

• TS Class
  • 6 SL estate
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 12:53:59 am »
I paid £122 per tyre before the snow and ice arrived, which is about the same as the Dunlops.

I rely on my car all year round. 30-40k miles per annum is serious driving so for me, I can't get caught out.

You have to remember that the Nokian Weatherproof tyre is not a snow tyre, so it is not as soft as the Continental 830/850 winter tyres (that I've used on other cars).  It just happens to be the best performing all weather tyre when it comes to snow and ice.   Better still I can still enjoy spirited driving in the 6 without feeling I've lost out in any way.

I've taken my 6 across snow and ice laden roads these last few weeks without getting unstuck.  This includes steep inclines and fresh snow as deep as 6-7inches.

An Outback has more ground clearance and is a capable mild off-roader.  If you put the same Nokians onto an Outback, the 4 wheel drive will add to its sure footedness in snow and ice for sure.

There's a belief that 4WD is the answer to good grip on snow and ice, but there's enough videos on YouTube showing that a front wheel drive equipped with snow tyres will travel up a ski slope more effectively than a 4WD with chunky summer tyres.

The Germans encourage the use of all weather or snow tyres for those winter months, that's why you don't see so many rear wheel drive cars stuck in snow over there as you do in London.

One of my clients is a large car auction business and one of their sites became an ice rink recently.  It was so dangerous that we chose not to move a hundreds of vehicles, but the Nokians handled the ice extremely well.

In general, I never put cheap or lowly rated tyres on my car.  Wet braking effectiveness is one of my pet subjects.  The difference in braking distance in wet conditions between an A-rated tyre and a C-rated tyre is significant even at 50mph.  At the extreme ends its almost three whole car lengths.  In my view, it's not worth the risk considering the number of times I've been overtaken and cut up by drivers who can't judge distance or speed, before slamming on their brakes.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 06:21:34 pm »
That sounds like value for money as you did not pay anything extra and you will be safer on the road.

I do not need the car 24X7 but I notice the big difference in handling compared to the M&S tyres of the previous car. The bigger size, segment D instead of C and the summer tyres, make you lose all confidence.

The latest generation of all weather tyres seems to be the best of both worlds. Maybe proper winter tyres will be necessary if you have to drive on snow day in, day out. Then you may consider going for a AWD car.

I have noticed that countries that have legal requirements for winter certificed tyres, the minimal legal tyre depth is set at 4mm. That is something else that should help as here the tyres can go down to the absolute nothing of 1.6mm.

For the new driving context I face, made me become much more defensive. I still have legal tyres but nothing at the top end, and of course, once the weather is bad, not even thinking to go out. Nowadays you can have the best tyres and still have somebody else destroying your day.

Enjoy the new tyres and if you have the time, consider writing a mini review of the car. Doing 30-40K miles a year, you must be getting close to 250-300K miles. How has the car coped so far?

Offline aeroadster

• TS Class
  • 6 SL estate
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 06:35:46 pm »
Nokian claim their Weatherproof tyre copes just as well as their Winter specific WR D4 in those Nordic conditions, so I have every confidence it will be fine.  Like you say, if I spent most of my day in those conditions, I'd have an AWD.

I've only had the car less than two years.  I've done 50k miles where most of it was in the last year.  I'm just under 145k miles now and the timing chain is still going strong.

The SL estate is a great all round car and I'll write a review at some point.

I keep looking at the 2017 Sport Nav estate wondering when I'll be driving one, but I can see myself keeping the SL for another 2 years, now I'm getting a quieter ride.

Offline RPM

• S Class
  • Colour: Arctic White (A4D) Non-Metallic
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 05:41:38 am »
I can only say good things about Nokian tyres too. I have put the winter ones although last December on the 19 wheels. Very noticeable difference to my Bridgestone summer tyres on cold morning and in wet conditions on the country side roads. Certainly recommend people to consider changing tyres to these as they offer more grip when temperature drops below 4C.