Author Topic: Parking Sensor dead on 2007 Wagon  (Read 4575 times)

Offline wmalik

• S Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Parking Sensor dead on 2007 Wagon
« on: March 22, 2017, 07:45:46 pm »
Hello and greetings from Germany  :)
I just bought my beloved Mazda 6 2.0 L Diesel 2007. It has front and rear parking sensor. From the very first day they are not working and I don't hear any beep  :(
I went to couple of mechanics and they said they are not original Mazda parking sensor and will cost tons of money just to identify the root cause. With tons I mean 400-500 (UK Pounds)  ;)
Please let me know what could be the quick and easy troubleshooting techniques :)
Thank you.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Parking Sensor dead on 2007 Wagon
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14:30 am »
Are you covered by the dealer warranty as you just bought the car?

If you have no warranty, bare in mind that non OEM parking sensors cost very little.

There can be problems with the sensors as a unit or the speaker that makes the noise.

Others have managed to buy the cheap kits and replace the faulty parts.

Probably it will be even better to replace the whole kit with the new one.

If have end up with no warranty and no cheap fix, you may be better off not doing anything about them as the quotes you get sound very expensive.

As your car is 10 years, sooner or later you will need to do repairs. So maybe the money you spend for the sensor repairs, will be better spent on other repairs.

Offline nikonman

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: S
  • Year: 2005
Re: Parking Sensor dead on 2007 Wagon
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:16:51 am »
Hi wmalik,
You will need to identify and test a few things.
Find control module, this often includes an integral speaker.
Does this have 12vdc present to module with ignition on?
The reverse gear switching method used and associated cables (perhaps to reverse lights), check this 2 wire link.
Further Testing
Individual sensors usually have 3 wires each,+vdc, neg, signal.
You can test these with multimeter but they are often sealed for weather proofing. Spike cables with a small dress makers pin point and hold multimeter probes on to pins to test.
Also you could try using a long thin screwdriver as a stethoscope, hold screwdriver tip on each sensor and listen through handle for slight vibrations/hum. This will tell you that the sensor is working and active.
If a given sensor is active, get an assistant to move a large spanner or similar object towards the sensor face while you measure voltage at signal pin and ground. The voltage (millivolts normally) should change in relation to the distance of the obstacle.This is the signal itself (sine wave) sending data to the processor to increase frequency of beep/sounder.
Suspect break in wiring
You could do further tests if you suspect a break in the harness/wiring once you have located the parking sensor control module as you can then measure for continuity between each of the 3 wires in each sensor with its partner connector at the module. To do this , set multimeter to continuity mode (beeper) , use a pair of 3mtr long pieces of wire and attach one end of each wire to probes to make an extra long test lead set. Use dress makers pin method at both ends to spike sensor and insert into connector at module.Measure for continuity at each of the 3 wires for all sensors around the car.
Suspect control module
Remove from car, try and gain access to pcb of unit, check protection diode/s, check poor solder joints.

If you spend the day doing this and still no luck...give up :)
But you will have learned a lot about diagnostics without going to mazda dealer  :)

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:22:10 am by nikonman »