Author Topic: DPF fail and turbo oil leak?  (Read 7780 times)

Offline magicalarmchair

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
DPF fail and turbo oil leak?
« on: September 07, 2016, 10:29:22 pm »
Last time I changed my oil on my 2009 Mazda 6 2.2 Diesel I noted a small oil leak, I didn't have time to trace it down so rather foolishly ignored it. On the way to Cornwall, my DPF light started flashing and limp mode came on. Reading the codes it was DPF soot and ash accumulation. I have since had the car towed home and the DPF is off and has been sent for ultrasonic cleaning.

I was concerned that the DPF had been contaminated with oil due to my oil leak, so I searched for my leak whilst the car was up in the air after taking the DPF off and found the source to be this big pipe on the bottom of the turbo. Being so big, I assume its an air pipe? What do we thinks happened here? Turbo blown needing to be rebuilt? Back pressure from the DPF causing the oil leak? Any advice how I should proceed?

Leaking pipe on the bottom of the Turbo (I'm guessing)

The blue rag is above where the leaking pipe is:

To give some context:

Offline magicalarmchair

• S Class
Re: DPF fail and turbo oil leak?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:45:55 pm »
Okay, so the DPF Clean Team told me my DPF was, in fact, knackered. They suggest oil had contaminated it and melted its insides. They have replaced said insides and are sending it back. So, either:

• The DPF got blocked and the back pressure caused an oil backup on the Turbo leading to the oil leak that then killed the DPF
  • The turbo seals have failed or oil drain is blocked leading to oil actively killing the DPF

So, a turbo works like this:

The leak is on the turbine side of the turbo where the waste gas enters the turbo, and clearly then ends up in the DPF:

So do we think turbo seals? Or, do we think oil drain? Or do we think back pressure?

Offline magicalarmchair

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 05:02:05 pm »
Hoops, so doofus mistake. The lead is on the compressor intake side:

So the oil leak is showing up on the intake on the compressor side:

And oil is ending up in the DPF after the turbine side...

What do we think?

Offline Nick shabir

• S Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 02:19:55 am »
Hi, it's been a while since you posted this and I was interested in finding out if you had found a solution? A shame the post has been read nearly 800 times but no-one out there could comment. I'm looking at an intermittent fault with the turbo and Was interested in tearing it all down to located the fault.