Author Topic: Discussions about DPF  (Read 166280 times)

Offline Sarge17

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2006
Re: Discussions about DPF
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2014, 07:47:02 pm »
Hi guys. Just to make this clear from the off, i am in no way mechanically minded & have of course looked online for the answers to my questions but have been blinded with jargon so if anyone can give me an idiots guide then this idiot would be very grateful!

I've owned a 56 plate for just under 2 years now. The car has just done over 150k miles. Recently the DPF has started flashing. Took it for a much needed motorway run at 3000 revs for a good 30 mins with no luck. Did a little investigating online which led me to check the oil. It was past the F mark and up around the dreaded X. So today i took it for a full service & oil change. Then on the way home took it for another 10/15 min motorway run in 4th gear at 70mph with about 3500rpm. The light continues to flash.

From reading online i'm guessing the light doesn't just turn it's self off and requires it being plugged into a machine to do this. I have seen on youtube the trick for turning the light off without going to a garage but obviously don't want to do so if it is a genuine warning. So how do i know that the oil change and/or the motorway run has worked or not?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Offline Elwood

• TS Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2014, 07:14:25 pm »
Hi guys. Just to make this clear from the off, i am in no way mechanically minded & have of course looked online for the answers to my questions but have been blinded with jargon so if anyone can give me an idiots guide then this idiot would be very grateful!

I've owned a 56 plate for just under 2 years now. The car has just done over 150k miles. Recently the DPF has started flashing. Took it for a much needed motorway run at 3000 revs for a good 30 mins with no luck. Did a little investigating online which led me to check the oil. It was past the F mark and up around the dreaded X. So today i took it for a full service & oil change. Then on the way home took it for another 10/15 min motorway run in 4th gear at 70mph with about 3500rpm. The light continues to flash.

From reading online i'm guessing the light doesn't just turn it's self off and requires it being plugged into a machine to do this. I have seen on youtube the trick for turning the light off without going to a garage but obviously don't want to do so if it is a genuine warning. So how do i know that the oil change and/or the motorway run has worked or not?

Thanks in advance for any help...

I'm guessing that your oil/filter change was done by a garage which doesn't have the facility for resetting the DPF light. A main dealer would have done this as part of the service.

The flashing DPF light is acting as a service warning light. If the light is on permanently, then, usualy, this means the DPF is very badly clogged which is a far worse situation.

My car is similar to yours and I have used the tips found here http://www.cdn.dk/mazda6/tips.htm to good effect I have done them all except for the automatic wipers as my car doesn't have them.

Only the other day, I used the procedure for recalibrating the injectors and this made a very noticeable difference to the car's performance.

The DPF cleaning process is quite brutal and somewhat alarming as the engine revs up and slows down of its own accord and, at times, runs roughly. But it works and everything settles down, in the end.

I was quite apprehensive when I first used the procedures. I thinks many others have done the same with success.

Offline Sarge17

• S Class
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 02:06:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply and the handy link. I had heard about resetting the DPF light using the process in this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtFifQvQNnM but i guess you can only recommend what has worked for you.

Correct about the garage not having the facility to turn the light off but i did get a full service for £128. So if i have had the oil filter changed will i still need to carry out the cleaning process or just reset after oil change option?

Offline Elwood

• TS Class
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply and the handy link. I had heard about resetting the DPF light using the process in this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtFifQvQNnM but i guess you can only recommend what has worked for you.

Correct about the garage not having the facility to turn the light off but i did get a full service for £128. So if i have had the oil filter changed will i still need to carry out the cleaning process or just reset after oil change option?

It depends what the garage included in the service. From your previous post, I would suspect the DPF needs a manual regeneration as per the tips sheet. I used this method on my car last year. I was quite apprehensive, especially when the engine started growling and revving a lot, but everything settled down. It took well over half an hour and a lot of smoke came out of the exhaust. Remember, the engine has to be at full working temperature before you start, so a good run beforehand is recommended.

Follow the instructions on the sheet and you should be OK. When I did it, I rigged up a piece of wire with a large crocodile clip at one end which I then attached to the negative terminal of the battery.

What oil did the garage put in your car? I use Mazda's DEXELIA DPF 5W-30 even though it's a bit expensive, but it is the life blood of the engine. The oil must be a DPF designated oil.

If you do any of this, I'd recalibrate the injectors, as per sheet. I don't think your garage would have done that, either. If you follow the procedures, I think you'll find a noticeable difference in you car.

Hop this helps.

Offline Sarge17

• S Class
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »
I finally got around to trying some of this today and it worked a treat. I used the guide to clean the DPF and reset the light using the "after oil change" process.

I was unsure about calibrating the injectors though, i've probably mis understood the instructions, namely step 3:-

How to calibrate the injectors
1. Make sure the engine is warmed up (important).
2. Start the engine.
3. Connect the pin in the red circle 5 times within 5 sec. to earth (chassis).
4. The glow plug light flashes 5 times when the calibration is finish (< 3 min). **
5. If not got to (2).

Does that mean you have to connect within 5 secs? (i'm guessing probably not) or connect one end into the fuse box and touch the chassis 5 times within 5 seconds with the other? (or vice versa) I tried both with no luck. Should you leave the wire connected on the 5th time?

Offline Elwood

• TS Class
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2014, 07:36:57 pm »

I was unsure about calibrating the injectors though, i've probably mis understood the instructions, namely step 3:-

How to calibrate the injectors
1. Make sure the engine is warmed up (important).
2. Start the engine.
3. Connect the pin in the red circle 5 times within 5 sec. to earth (chassis).
4. The glow plug light flashes 5 times when the calibration is finish (< 3 min). **
5. If not got to (2).

Does that mean you have to connect within 5 secs? (i'm guessing probably not) or connect one end into the fuse box and touch the chassis 5 times within 5 seconds with the other? (or vice versa) I tried both with no luck. Should you leave the wire connected on the 5th time?

Pleased to hear that the DPF cleansing and reset went OK

When I recalibrated the injectors I used a length of solid core wire. One end I stuck into the indicated pin and left it there. Taking the other bare end of the wire, I quickly (within 5 secs) stroked it 5 times across the negative terminal of the battery. After that I completely removed the wire from the car as it's no longer needed. If this has been done correctly, the glowplug light is illuminated and stays on until the process is complete. When the recalibration is complete, the glowplug light flashes 5 times and you can then switch off the engine.

Hope this helps.

Offline Sarge17

• S Class
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2014, 09:20:13 pm »
Finally got around to doing the injectors and at the 2nd time of trying managed to do it. Only had a short drive since but the car seems to respond a bit quicker. Thanks Elwood for all your help

Offline Elwood

• TS Class
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:07 am »
Finally got around to doing the injectors and at the 2nd time of trying managed to do it. Only had a short drive since but the car seems to respond a bit quicker. Thanks Elwood for all your help
You're welcome and pleased it's worked for you.

Offline Jonnyyfronts

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2014, 03:50:57 pm »
I hope the good people on this site can help. I'm sure my DPF is doing a regen at almost exactly every 200 miles no matter what the conditions are!  I've noticed that my tick over revs increase slightly for 20 mins or so and at this time my ave MPG drops like a stone!

I will be giving it it's 4th oil change since March because the sump keeps filling up with diesel even though 90% of my driving is on dual carriageways and motorways!!!

Has anyone else noticed this and can anything be done to stop it happening so frequently?

Andy.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:00:01 pm by Willpower »

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
  • Fuel: Petrol
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2014, 07:14:36 pm »
Hello people,

How often does the new skyactiv-d regenrate it's DPF filter.
My 10 plate sport used to it every 250-300 miles.
Also how long does it take on this car?

Thanks
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i

Offline molliejuno

• S Class
  • Colour: Icy Blue Mica (33Y) Metallic
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »
Hi I have the dpf light flashing and car in safe mode. I believe this has come on as my oil was contaminated with diesel where the regeneration of dpf was not finishing due to me only doing short journeys. I have had oil and filter change but light is still flashing and in safe mode. Is there a way I can reset this myself.

Offline Farnsworth28

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2014, 06:07:57 pm »
If your car has recently been serviced then I would get it checked for the tolerance on the Timing Chain. This is a well documented fault. I really hope I am wrong though as it is expensive to fix.

Farnsy

Offline markiboy44

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2015, 03:52:00 pm »
Hi I have the dpf light flashing and car in safe mode. I believe this has come on as my oil was contaminated with diesel where the regeneration of dpf was not finishing due to me only doing short journeys. I have had oil and filter change but light is still flashing and in safe mode. Is there a way I can reset this myself.

did you get this sorted?

Offline MicBarra

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2015, 02:38:25 pm »
Whenever mine flashes I try to avoid driving it until i can take it to get the Oil/filter changed along with a DPF Reset.
Last time they had performed a DPF regen which they never charged for.
You laugh because I'm different.... I laugh because I farted!

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2015, 03:09:31 pm »
If manufacturers want a) Lower emissions b)Lower Fuel consumption, then why are we having to burn extra fuel increasing fuel consumption and still emitting the carbon from the DPF ( as ash they say).
Matter cannot be created nor destroyed. So what goes in comes out. Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen ( and perhaps a few other trace elements) are part of the combustion process so carbon is still going to go into the atmosphere.
It was always said that lowering emissions of large marine diesels the fuel consumption would rise but they have to deal with NOx & SOx, whether they worry about DP's (a bit of soot) I don't know, but they do have to carry and burn low sulphur fuels for European coasts and the US.

I believe earlier ( or even present) Mazda3's used the Urea injection system. Has anybody had any experience with that?  If it was a good system I wonder why it was not incorporated on the Mazda6.
My dealer said if spilt on the carpet it would make a mark (as it is based on ammonia or bleach). But then if you take precautions this would not happen. It does sound like very little is needed. A similar system is used on marine diesels.

I did see a U-Tube video of somebody jet washing there DPF filter out.  Now if the filter is full of soot which is mainly carbon, you can soak carbon in a rich solution of of washing up liquid and water allow to stand overnight say (may be a shorter time)  then just wash out as soap dissolves carbon. Try it on a burnt oven bottom or baking sheet that has sugar burnt in.
I used to soak my EGR (mechanical type) in soapy water  and it came out spotless, with no effort. I have also decarbonised marine diesel (QE2 Engine type) caged exhaust valves burning heavy fuel oil and they came out spotless using the same method.
So all may not be lost. 
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire