Author Topic: What make of fuel do you use?  (Read 34100 times)

Offline SM25T

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2017
Re: What make of fuel do you use?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 04:29:15 pm »
When touring in Germany in our Caterham 7, we always try to fill up at Aral filling stations  .... and use their 102 RON Ultimate unleaded.  It gives over 42mpg instead if the normal 38mpg,  and the car is so much more responsive.  With the current exchange rate, it costs less than regular 95 RON in the UK. Bonus !!

Offline makkmartono

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Clearwater Blue (40B)
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 09:18:55 pm »
Yeah Aral petrol station are pretty good.
Skoda Octavia vRS 230 DSG Hatch
Mazda 6 Hatchback TS2 2.0 Manual
Mazda 6 Tourer Sport 2.2 175 Auto
Mazda 3 Hatchback Sport 185 Manual
Ford Focus mkII Zetec 2.0 TDCi
Ford Focus mkI Zetec 1.8i

Offline captainbongo

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sunlight Silver (22V) Metallic
  • Year: 2019
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 06:42:52 pm »
I recently had an issue which may have been caused, at least in part, by using Sainsbury's diesel. To cut a long story short - lower (but still legal) cetane level in diesel led to injector seals leaking, build-up of carbon on oil strainer causing it to become blocked - lack of oil to turbo - new turbo needed  >:(

I emailed Sainsbury's to ask about the cetane level in their diesel and their reply was:

'Our diesel has a minimum Cetane number of 51 but is typically higher. Our diesel contains up to a maximum of 7% (typically less) bio derived content from a combination of oil seed rape and other vegetable oils and may contain some derived from animal  sources. This the same as all diesel sold in the UK and is a European directive requirement.'

The dealer who replaced the turbo advised using a 'premium' brand now and again (if not more often) to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Offline Choppit

• TS Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 11:43:11 pm »
Generally BP regular diesel (or any other mainstream brand when my credit card gives me an incentive) but definitely not supermarket fuel. I've just bought my M6 but previously I had a MK4 Mondeo TDCi which frequently hesitated and stalled at speed on the motorway twice (with loss of steering and brake assistance). Up to that point I'd run predominantly on Tesco diesel but switched to branded and never had an issue since.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2015, 06:23:51 pm »
ESSO top grade seems to work fine have put the occasional tesco momentum all seems to work ok. Only put the higher grade in when the price went down haven't worked out if the MPG is better but compared to my last two diesles it does miles more to the gallon which ever brand i use and no hesitation ps i keep the i-stop turned off by having the blower directed at screen only saves keep switching it off every time you start up. Had 2.2 diesle toyotas 2 in four years just put standard tesco diesle in them all the time never had a problem thats all i can say.
cheers steve