Author Topic: Gear crunch - Gears or clutch? Help!  (Read 5351 times)

Offline alfiets282

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2006
Gear crunch - Gears or clutch? Help!
« on: April 25, 2015, 10:39:09 am »
Mazda 6 TS2 Turbo Diesel 2.0 2006

Hi there,
I'm in need of some help as I'm not that clued up mechanically.
I've just recently purchased the above car and didn't notice at all when i test drove it (it was bought privately) but when i chang into 2nd or 3rd gear with the clutch fully down it takes a bit of effort and I can feel the gears grinding past each other as they try to connect. I have noticed recently that if the car is in higher revs, say around the 2 and a half/ 3 thousand they connect better.
I understand that these are the first gears generally to go being that they are the most common to be used but of what I've read about clutch problems and being that this car weakness is the clutch I'm to sure if this is the cause?
If it is the gears, will it need the whole transmission reconditioning or can someone just sort out these gears? Ive been quoted ?1000 from one company to do that (an online enquiry) I've read a new transmission is ?2000! F that!
So, anyway, I've just spent all my pennys on the car buying it so the cheapest option will have to do for now.
How long can i drive it before it becomes a huge problem?
Oh yeah, i have checked the oil and its at the right level.

Thanks

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Gear crunch - Gears or clutch? Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 12:40:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear of you difficulties and I'm sure that there will be some useful comments forthcoming.

In the mean time, can I ask you not to double post.  As this area is where you are likely to get a better response, I have removed your identical posting elsewhere.
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.