Author Topic: Mobil 1 dpf 5w30 fully synthetic oil  (Read 18445 times)

Offline Jerby

• S Class
  • Colour: Aurora Blue (34J) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Mobil 1 dpf 5w30 fully synthetic oil
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:21:44 pm »
Is Mobil 1 dpf fully synthetic 5w30 good enough for my Mazda 6 gen 2. 2.2 td?

Or should I use just Mazda's own dexila oil?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Elwood

• TS Class
  • Colour: Velocity Red (27A) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
Re: Mobil 1 dpf 5w30 fully synthetic oil
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 07:58:44 pm »
If I were you, I'd stay with Mazda's oil to be absolutely certain it's the correct oil. After all, the oil is the life-blood of the engine; it isn't changed that often, so what's the point of trying to find cheaper or different?

Offline bazzamf

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:40:17 am »
Check your handbook, it clearly tells you the spec of the oil to suit your engine. I don't buy Mazda's oil as it is probably more expensive than you can buy elsewhere. The other thing is that Mazda buy the oil in anyway, they don't manufacture or process it, they just stick a label on it.

Offline V 249

• Sport Class
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Takuya
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:49:35 am »
If you use a decent grade of Oil as per your instruction book you should be fine.
As said Mazda buy in their Oil, I am not 100% sure but think Mobil supply it for them.Maybe someone who knows for sure can confirm .?
The dealer who serviced my and any other Mazdas they service etc uses Castrol Oil of the
correct grade from choice.

Offline ZookNc

• S Class
  • Colour: Carbon Grey (28B) Metallic
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:04:51 pm »
Hi Jerby,

I use Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30 in my Mazda 6 gen 2 2.2 TD as it's rated JASO DL-1 which is what Mazda recommend. I've been using this oil for the past two oil changes (about 25000 miles) and so far so good. Mobil recommend this oil for this particular vehicle also. Just make sure you use the ESP Formula version in 5W30

I've always trusted Mobil oils and never had an issue with any of them whether it be for engine, transmission, diff, you name it, including in several four wheel drives that were driven quite hard.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Froggy.

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 11:17:50 am »
If you go on the oil mfrs websites (Castrol, Shell, Mobil)  you can enter your car reg and they tell you the correct oil to use.
My dealer uses  Castrol for all cars not under warranty, but to cover themselves  'mazda oil' whilst in warranty.
The main thing with diesel cars  is the API rating of oils which is the letter and normally a C1-3, which are low in ash content ( ash being the bain of DPF's).
I have heard of two different oils that supply Mazda oil and Mazda UK nor the dealer cannot be certain who it is. It would appear Japan keep a close hold on a lot of information and this is brainwashed down the system. It almost  appears they have signed an Official Secrets  Act with Japan.
The oil the dealers receive is in a 40 gallon drum marked Mazda Dexila  a bit like supermarket brand beans, made to a price.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire

Offline Browny_37

• S Class
  • Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 03:35:39 pm »
I know I'm late to the party on this one.

I've used Mobil ESP 5-30W diesel oil with the JASO specification on the 2009 2.0L 140bhp diesel and I've just done my own interim service on my 2.2 180 diesel using it again, I've had no ill effects from this oil so far.

HTH

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:06:07 pm »
You will better off with the C1 spec oils compared to the DL-1 oils. The ESP is advertised as suitable for C2 and C3 spec cars.

Offline stevem100

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 12:04:33 pm »
Hi i just have my main dealer do the oil and filter changes every 6000 miles main service and interim change they use there own oil as you say made by some one else probably Mobil and put there lable on it but having it done that way with that oil i have never even seen the oil rise on the stick it stays about an 1/8th of an inch below the full mark which is where it is when they have changed it. Plus i always have it done while i wait that way they drain the old oil out while it's hot hopefully not leaving any behind. I know with my last 6 and the new one they are under warranty so to my mind any problems to do  with the oil then there is NO ARGUMENT about using inferior products.
I know every 6000 miles or 6 months if you don't do the milege is a bit over kill but it's also PEACE OF MIND. :) ;) :) ;)
Cheers Steve  8)

Offline karjil

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:20 am »
Up until last year I have always used Shell Helix Ultra Professional 5W-30 AF-L which is a low ash oil and a bit costly.

However, last year when I went onto the Castrol site it quoted Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL as being the oil for the car. I contacted Mazda who informed me that under no circumstances should Castrol oil be used on this model as Castrol are not low ash oils.

I got back in touch with Castrol about this who agreed to look into the matter. Castrol's technical department got back to me and told that they have had this issue with Mazda before and said that Mazda are incorrect. Castrol said that their recommended Edge oil is a low ash content oil which is suitable for my model of Mazda.

I used this Castrol Edge last year and I am about to do this year's oil change using Castrol Edge once again.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 07:28:40 am »
It is only £10 price difference but you get the right oil specification.

Mazda is right about Castol.

I am surprised with the competence of Castrol's so called technical department. These people should be proper engineers and not managers/sellers.

In their website they state that their oil is C3:
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/car-engine-oil/engine-oil-brands/castrol-edge/edge-product-range/edge-product-page.html?_ga=2.91622430.580632245.1507792165-1003636267.1507792165

To get an idea what the specifications means, you can read that:
http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

The C3 is the lowest of the low of the C specifications. C1 is still the lowest SAPS oil.

I had bought the car used from a Ford dealer and they used Castrol to service the car for delivery. The DPF light came on at about 11K miles. I changed the oil with the AF-L and the difference was noticeable immediately. I have now reached the mileage and age limitation and still no light on. I bet that the difference in specification counts.

It is your choice but the difference of £34 to £44 once per year may be false economy.

Offline karjil

• S Class
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 08:24:57 am »
I take on board what you say.

With Castrol being such a major player one would assume that they should know what they are doing especially in the light of any liabilities.

Offline karjil

• S Class
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 09:50:18 am »
I've got a further update on this matter.

As I had said in my previous post that last year Castrol had given me their reply that their Edge LL is the correct oil. This morning I decided to give Castrol 'boffins' another chance to explain themselves once again. Their technical department elaborated on their previous answers to me.

They told me that Mazda no longer use C1 oils in their vehicles and now recommend C3 spec and their dealerships were made aware of this. Castrol actually read out to me a memo they have from Mazda sent in 2012 explaining the issues with C1 oils in their vehicles and why they now recommend C3 oil specifications. While C1 spec oil does have a lower ash content than C3 spec the difference is minimal. It is because of other factors within the C1 spec which gave rise to Mazda having changed their choice to C3 over C1 specifications.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 01:58:53 pm »
In 2012 Mazda was still selling the GH. I have the 2009 2.0 car and in the manual it says C1 only. The C3 is the worst specification of the three. It will be interesting to find out from Mazda why a lower grade oil is better for its engines. The problems Mazda has with its diesels, can only be made worse with the downgrade to C3. I would still buy the C1. I am now past the 100K miles to experiment with anything else. It will be interesting to know why the GJ car goes with C3 oils though. Still the recommendation for the older car is to use the C1 oils.

Offline karjil

• S Class
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 02:53:40 pm »
Another update.

What I should have also mentioned was that Castrol said C3 oils are the better quality than C1 oils as they are better at staying within the specified grade.

I called the local Madza dealer service to ask about topping up my oil and they told me that any C3 spec is fine as that is the spec they use.