Author Topic: Will a spare fit  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Matthewbanditrider

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2019
Will a spare fit
« on: January 22, 2021, 02:13:40 pm »
Hi all. I am unable to find an exact answer in previous topics, and would appreciate some help.
I have a 2019 mazda6 estate 2.2d and want to carry a space saver spare.
There does look to be space for it, with a shallow well and captive nut for securing. However, when talking with mazda, they say because my car has an adblue tank, it is not possible to fit a spare.
I am not convinved this is correct and have priced up a spare, jack and foam boot in fills for raising boot floor, but this is coming in at £350ish.
Wondered if anyone had any experience of this before I purchase and potentially get disappointed.
Just to add, breakers want more for spare than Mazda charge for new.
Thanks

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Will a spare fit
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 06:19:32 am »
It is a good thing you checked about the used price vs new. The market is strange nowadays.

If the dealer says that the spare wheel will not fit in the traditional space, I would trust them. You can compare that answer with other dealers to be 100%. It sounds strange though to have fitted the adblue tank in the spare wheel position.

If you really want to carry a spare wheel with you, you can still do it. You could buy a fll size same wheel as the ones you currently have on the car, fit a new tyre, and buy the jack and the wheel nut bar, and then secure them altogether as permanent cargo on the car.

You will lose some space but not a lot and your motivation in the first place is to carry a spare wheel. You could also buy a space saver wheel to save some space.

Judging by the number of drivers who call the road assistance to change their flat tyre, you may be better off risking it and going without a spare wheel, especially if you do not like the idea of losing cargo space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fDXBQC9FWQ

If the space is like that, you could simply cut the foam and not raise the floor.

Or maybe something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-FULL-SIZE-STEEL-SPARE-WHEEL-TOOLS-COMPATIBLE-WITH-MAZDA-6-2008-2013/152201682618?fits=Model%3AMazda6&hash=item236fed5eba:g:h7oAAOSwxLdb3BnZ

This seems to be a Mazda dealer:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mazda-6-Tourer-Estate-2012-on-Space-Saver-Spare-Wheel-Kit-With-Tyre/273312220731?hash=item3fa2ad863b:g:lL4AAOSwLqFV-DEj

Maybe you can confirm that and possibly save money by buying the space saver alone and cutting the foam for time being. That will keep everything tidy and out of sight. The kit has basically done the same.

Offline cwolf89

• S Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport Nav
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:02:02 am »
it is known that if the car has an ad-blue tank, the space for the spare wheel is gone and you can't really use it.

is there a particular reason you want a spare wheel? it adds weight, it costs money, it uses valuable space. unless of course you drive in the middle of nowhere and you need to be up and running asap, in which case investing in run-flats would be a better choice. for all other cases, I would say rely on roadside assistance.

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 11:01:14 am »
Thank you for responses.
I would like a spare as I travel to Poland at least once a year and some breakdown services won't respond to flats without a spare. Anyway, in the event of a puncture, if i have a spare I can be on the go again in 20mins, rather than waiting an hour for breakdown. Plus, if you get a  flat at speed, the tyre is then unsafe to use repair kits. (Might invest in runflats later).
Will try get photo of wheel well to show my apprehension regards dealer advice

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 07:05:02 am »
https://youtu.be/M6Z6nCqSMEA?t=17

That looks like a proper zoom zoom thinking flooding the boot with ad blue.

So it looks like that they filled the traditional space of a spare wheel with the after thought ad blue tank and there is no free space even for a space saver wheel.

I do not think the road assistance can refuse to go to a car with no spare wheel as most of them do not have it nowadays. But maybe there is a business logic behind that, as they cannot replace the flat tyre wheel with the spare wheel, there is no point in them driving to the car, removing the wheel, driving it to the tyre shop and back. So they may just send the mobile tyre vans.

The waiting time is a thing and when you travel a long distance over many countries, it makes sense to invest in the spare wheel.

Buy a second full size wheel, used or new, but the same as the ones the car uses. Then fit a new tyre to it and keep rotating it every time you fit new tyres.

It seems that it will need to be secured in the boot and you can use some plastic fake leather wrap like the 4x4 type of car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-17-Mazda-6-SE-Nav-Alloy-Wheel-Rim-10-Spoke-A/183264925600?hash=item2aab70d7a0:g:WTQAAOSwVK9bGoFN

I say buy the same wheel to make sure that the nuts suit the wheel. If the nuts do not suit the wheel, they can come off after driving. So while they should be cheaper wheels, I would be careful what to fit. As you do not buy them every day, if a wheel the same as the ones you have is around £100, go for it. Any wheel is sold for around £50, and so pay the extra and have peace of mind.

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 05:41:04 pm »
Thanks apav. As you can just see in the link you provided, there is a shallow recess for a wheel, with a captive nut. I don't understand why mazda would go to such lengths, if a wheel cannot be stored. I know their is an option for a sub, but its little smaller than a wheel.
Will maybe mock up the foam inserts for raising the boot floor and try the space saver from the wifes car.

Offline saddler5

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Deep Crystal Blue Metallic (42M)
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Trim: Sport Nav
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 12:34:46 pm »
The boot floor is shaped the same in the petrol and diesel models. I have a petrol Sport that came with a space saver wheel courtesy of the previous owner and this fits perfectly. I can only assume the ad-blue tank was an afterthought and that was the only place they could fit it in

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 02:31:38 pm »
Yes the car should not have had any changes since 2013 but on this latest facelift, they added the adblue. It is in the spare wheel space and that green carton on top of it does not look more than 1-2cm deep. Then below that the whole space must be the tank. I do not think you can fit it on top of the tank. Take some photos but it does not look like a good option.

You could crash the tank with the wheel if you bolt it down firmly. Then you will need to raise the floor by a lot as it does not look deep enough. Your best bet is to have on top of the cover like normal cargo. I have the second generation car and it has cargo anchors behind the rear seats. So you could potentially strap it there and fit other luggage on top and around it.

The subwoofer was going into the spare wheel at the second generation cars but on the third generation it is somewhere around the dash and/or below the front seats. Give it a go if you have another space saver and try to remove one of your wheels and check how much space it takes in the boot as cargo. You could potentially carry it once per year when you go on long trips and rely on the road assistance locally.

It is a matter of luck really whether you will need it. A lot of people only drive locally to work and have a flat tyre when they hit the motorway on the holidays as the tyres overheat when run underinflated and then it is game over. I had one of the tyres going soon after I got the car but the tyres were already cracked and I fell into a motorway roadway crate. The dealer was insisted that the cracked tyres were suitable for a used car but he fitted a new tyre with some discount. Since then, I never had any problems but the tyres are not cracked anymore and I am going over the pressures every time I use the car.