Author Topic: Vehicle System Malfunction.  (Read 8215 times)

Offline gary29429

• S Class
  • Colour: Soul Red Metallic (41V)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE-L Nav
  • Year: 2015
Vehicle System Malfunction.
« on: October 14, 2020, 03:12:03 pm »
Hi Folks

Was greeted with this error message this morning on the short commute to work, car is booked in with dealer on Friday but has anyone had similar in the past.

"Vehicle System Malfunction"....along with the yellow triangle, they should replace that yellow triangle with a £ symbol... ;D

I have a Mazda 6 2.2 SE-L Nav 2016 Estate

Many Thanks in advance.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
Re: Vehicle System Malfunction.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 04:45:02 pm »
Is there anything like that in the handbook?

Maybe it is a specific error or maybe it is a generic warning that can link to anything.

https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/vehicle-system-malfunction.442097/

This guy says that he had to replace part of the oil filtration system:

Basically it is caused by a filter part on the oil pump (not the main oil filter), this gets clogged with oil sludge and soot over time and blocks oil from passing through into the engine which then confuses the system and can cause it to detect low oil pressure and limit power to protect

Offline gary29429

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 08:40:08 pm »
Thanks Apav, yeah seen that. I think it's a bit mad that that's the only google reference I could find to that error message...guess that means it's pretty rare...It's in the dealers later in the week, will update here in case is pops up on anybody else's radar....

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 09:51:09 am »
Erm, no. These engines are badly designed and they have lubrication problems. Check on autotrader how many cars are sold in immaculate condition, just needs a new engine. There are so many older posts about these problems. For sure, these warnings do not come up for fun but different warnings come up for the same problem depending on where the system breaks.

Offline gary29429

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 06:30:01 pm »
ERM......literally found one post about this error message, what makes you think it was a lubrication problem...you might also post a few links to the huge amount of posts about the error message in question. ie: "Vehicle System Malfunction", much appreciated.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 02:47:10 pm »
I only have the second generation car. It comes with only 2 warning lights, a DPF and an EML. Both of them are related to the engine. I registered to the forums when I bought it and my impression since then that if you have a Mazda diesel, you run a high risk of running out of engine.

Before I read all posts, somebody was asking about the 3rd generation. Somebody told him that these engines continue the same pattern of self-destructing. More and more posts are all asking for advice with engine problems and warnings.

Modern cars are a bit overcomplicated and modern driving conditions are not suitable for these cars. So the combination of the 2 leads to more problems which is fine but most people survive on finance and this is where all the problems start.

Anyway, I did not mean to offend you or your car. Most people do not post on forums, on keep a car diary to show the problems. So I am not sure if you can rely on lack of information to show that there is no problem.

Would you like to tell us what the dealer told you about your warning? I got an EML once when I went to the fuel station. I read online, found various problems but when the garage scanned it, they did not find something to fix. They reset it and it never came back. Maybe you are that lucky as well.