Author Topic: Attachments and Pictures  (Read 37893 times)

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Attachments and Pictures
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:13:33 pm »
Could I please draw everyones attention to the following message I have received from our web hosts.

The attachments folder at Mazda 6 Forums UK is almost full. Please visit the forum
to resolve this problem.

Once the attachments folder reaches it's maximum permitted size users will not be
able to continue to post attachments or upload custom avatars.

I have previously made everyone aware of this situation and the need to use a hosting site to include pictures in posts.  We now have the onerous task of deleting all pictures that have been put into posts by using the attachment facility.

Unfortunately the practise of using the attachments folder for pictures has recently been on the increase.

As previously stated we very much regret having to remove pictures, but the attachment folder is primarily intended to include text, graphic items and PDF's    NOT PICTURES or Screenshots.

There are many picture hosting sites that will provide you with [ IMG ] links.  Here is the sequence for just one of them. Others will be similar. It is your choice which you use.

To post a photo on the forum

Go to www.photobucket.com. If you do not already have an account,  click on "Join now" to create your own account. It's free.

Move to the centre of the screen and click on the UPLOAD tab.  When the dialog window opens up, navigate through to where you have stored your image on your computer. Select and Open.

Photobucket will upload your image and store it. Once completed it will show you a thumbnail picture. Click on the thumbnail and it will show you some links on the right hand side.

You need to select the link named  Direct.    Copy and then return to the forum and paste into the body of your message.

Click on the preview button then highlight the link and click on the picture icon.   This will put the IMG brackets around the link 

Preview to make sure it's ok. Add any text you need to and post.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,  Mazda6 forums Administration Team
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:33:11 pm by Willpower »
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
Re: Attachments and Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:04:35 pm »
Update as of 29 Sept 2015

Unfortunately the use of the attachment function to post pictures is once again dramatically on the increase. 

Up until now, I have been converting these attachments into IMG files as per the instructions above and reinserting them in the topic. I have been doing this for some time, but it has now become a daily occurrence. Obviously the message has not got through.

This has to end.  It is with regret, that henceforth, any further pictures added into posts as attachments will summarily removed, to abide by the reasons given above.

If you want to include a picture, please do not use the attachment function, but use a hosting site as suggested above.

Thank you.

Mazda Admin Team

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 03:32:15 pm »
Unfortunately, it seems that after 14 years using Photobucket to host pictures for this forum, that they have now, with no warning, decided to disable the hot link facility. This means that many of the pictures on the forum have been replaced by a place marker image.  Photobucket want to charge each individual  $399 (£310)  per year for the hosting function. 

Unlike other forums, we are unable to host pictures directly and we are currently investigating free alternatives.

Thank you
Mazda 6 Admin Team

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:23:50 pm »
Due to the unexpected actions of Photobucket, it has become necessary to find an alternative image hosting arrangement.   As stated in the #1  post there are other hosting sites available.

These sites do require you to create an account, the same as Photobucket did. They are free and both the sites mentioned below provide  the  [IMG] tags required to embed an image onto this forum. 

The sites are    ImgBB        https://imgbb.com

and                 vgy.me        https://vgy.me

I have tried both of these sites and they work perfectly.   

I'm sorry that the forum does not provide hosting, but this was not included in the package we purchased when the forum was set up 6 years ago.   

As you can imagine because of Photobucket's actions we have lost links to many many historical images. However from this point onwards we can hopefully rebuild the quantity and quality of images included in the forum.

Thank you for your patience. If you have any questions please contact me at     willpower_mazda3forums@outlook.com

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:20:38 pm by Willpower »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 02:19:26 pm »
Once again I am having to post this request

I have received information that the attachments folder has exceeded it's preset limit and that no more attachments will be allowed.

This is because members are attaching pictures as PDF files  instead of  JPG  files

Because of this I have no alternative but to cull all the PDF files of images in the attachment folder.

If you wish to add a picture to your post, please follow the instructions given above and do not use PDF's as a way to add a picture. 

Henceforth any pictures that have been added AS PDF's  will be removed with no warning. 

Thank you
Mazda6forums Admin