Author Topic: Water in the Jack Well of the Boot  (Read 10342 times)

Offline chris o

• S Class
  • Colour: Crystal White Pearl (34K) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Takuya
  • Year: 2011
Water in the Jack Well of the Boot
« on: January 15, 2022, 04:23:28 pm »
Hi, I've got some water collecting in the front section of the jack well in my boot. At first I suspected the rear lights but all seems clean and dry there and water does not collect in the rear of the jack well (underneath the lights). My car is parked on a level surface and the water collects after heavy rain whilst parked. There is no water in the spare wheel well. I took the side panel off today and have attached a couple of photos (hopefully). Does anybody have some suggestions of where the water might be getting in?

Thanks, Chris
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 08:40:05 pm by Willpower »

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Water in the Jack Well of the Boot
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 08:42:05 pm »
Please read the following.

http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=1846.0

Thank you :)
Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline chris o

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 02:06:26 pm »
Done a bit more investigation today. I found that the inside surface of the outer panel was wet. I reached as high as I could and it was wet all the way. Next action might be to remove the rear light to try to see what is going on. I’m suspecting the rear quarter light window at the moment.

Offline chris o

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 04:33:21 pm »
Well, I have now fixed it……..

After my last post, I poured water from a watering can over the suspect areas over several days. These were the hatchback strut, hatchback hinge (on drivers side) and the mastic seal along the hatchback opening. No water came into the jack well.

After doing  more research on Google/ YouTube, I found that a common leak area on all cars is around the black plastic trim along the roof. This acts as a gutter and hides the join between the roof and body side panels. I poured some water along this trim and after a few hours water appeared in the jack well. It does take time to run down the inside of the outer body panel so you have to be patient.

I unclipped the roof trim and found it was partially blocked with pine needles. After cleaning everything up, I applied some PU sealer along the top and bottom edges of the existing mastic sealant, roughly from the middle of the rear door back to the hatchback.

After a few days I tested it with more  water and nothing appeared in the jack well. It’s been raining constantly today and there is no water in the boot.

I hope this is helpful to somebody.  ????

Offline adrian_s

• S Class
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: TS2
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 06:20:55 pm »
I have the same problem. Thank you Chris.