Author Topic: Changing the lights relay  (Read 6847 times)

Offline mart2008

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Changing the lights relay
« on: February 24, 2016, 05:34:52 am »
Hi. I've recently joined the site having purchased a 2008 6 TS. The first thing I just had to do was explore the web on why my car's headlights were on even when switched off, so to speak. Having discovered that this was normal but could be altered so as they can be switched off by changing the relay. Having read various posts on the topic, I kept my eyes open on ebay for the correct part and eventually, I managed to get one on ebay at a very reasonable price, part number GS1E 67890A. I fitted it to the car, replacing the original relay. It worked a treat or so I thought! The lights switch on and off without any issues but I have discovered that my intermittent wiper function no longer works. So, i'm left pondering, did the original relay also control the intermittent wiper function and, if so, is this relay the wrong part that I need or is it faulty? By the way, my car does not have the auto lights or rain sensing wiper functions. I've noticed on ebay that there are dozens of different lights relays for various Mazda cars but, if I have purchased the wrong one, would anyone know which one I need to get? Or, if anyone else has fitted this same part to their car (without the auto lights/wipers) did it affect your wipers intermittent function? If push comes to shove, i'd rather live without the intermittent wipers than live with the constant headlights but if I can have both, even better. Any advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Martyn.

Offline Tall333

• TS2 Class
  • Colour: Sonic Silver Metallic (45P)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Trim: Sport Nav
  • Year: 2015
Re: Changing the lights relay
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 08:18:02 am »
I wouldn't think they'd both work from the same relay, but how about re-fitting your original relay and see if the intermittent wipers perform any differently?  Or even try unplugging the relay?

Offline mart2008

• S Class
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:59:20 pm »
That's exactly what I was going to try as soon as I have a few spare minutes. Like you, I wouldn't have thought that it would be on the same relay but....

Offline mart2008

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 08:52:33 pm »
OK. I have tried the original relay and the intermittent wiper function works so either I've bought a faulty relay or the wrong relay. The one that I removed was the GS1F and I replaced it with the GS1E relay. Has anyone else successfully swapped theirs over without issue or used a different relay altogether?

Offline mart2008

• S Class
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 04:09:00 pm »
I still haven't got to the bottom of this. Has anyone else successfully swapped their relay over? If so, with which relay?