Author Topic: Class Action Lawsuit vs the Shutter intake Valve Recall.  (Read 5304 times)

Offline montecarlos

• S Class
  • Engine: 1.8L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2011
Class Action Lawsuit vs the Shutter intake Valve Recall.
« on: February 12, 2020, 02:43:19 pm »
I, like many others have suffered with intake shutter valve issues with my 2015 Mazda 6. This problem is so common across forums just like this one that I believe there may be a case for a class action lawsuit against Mazda for their poor diesel products which appear in the Mazda 3, Mazda CX-5 and the Mazda 6 (which may I add, they continue to sell).

If this problem occurs on your Mazda Diesel car, you will be greeted with a large bill to have it fixed. You can get it fixed but there's no guarantee it won't happen again and again.

The latest recall, regarding said intake shutter valve has made the vehicle you bought less effective at the very job you bought it for. In my case and I suspect others, this recall has had a significant detrimental effect on the cars MPG figures. I have just read a post I made on a Mazda forum from September last year, before my car went for this recall. I state I regularly get 55mpg average and hit 60mpg on a single trip on occasion. However, driving the same style and route now I am lucky to hit even 50, and I average 45-48 over a longer period of time. This is my commute to work so the drive/distance has not changed.

One could argue I have lost 10mpg out the car since I bought it, through a recall which is dubbed as a safety recall and thus one which many will not ignore.

Let us look at some figures to see what effect that could have.

If you took an average of 10,000 miles per year, at 55 MPG and £1.29 a litre for diesel, that amounts to £1045 a year in fuel. If you then take those same figures but replace 55 MPG with 45 MPG, the cost increases to £1277. That is a difference of £232 a year.

Realistically, you did not buy a Mazda 6 Diesel to do 10,000 miles a year so that number will obviously increase the higher your mileage.

This is not an insignificant amount of money, if you own the car for 4 years and do 15,000 miles a year this would cost you approx £1400 for something which you did not choose to do.

As customers I believe we should have more rights, our only option is to accept this decrease in fuel efficiency or sell the car. However, in selling the car we have created a new issue. The person who buys your vehicle will do so on false fuel efficiency numbers. Therefore, Mazda are withholding information to protect themselves and the value of their cars used.

Due to finances also, selling the car is not always an option.

If Mazda openly admitted their recall has caused a decrease in MPG it would then impact the value of your car, which would then cost you even more money in lost value.

There is no way you, as a customer will win in this situation without doing anything about it. I hope by posting this I will catch the attention of others who have also noticed this decrease in MPG.

I am interested in gathering some information, so if you would be so kind to complete this short survey it could be very helpful - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WGSC8T6

Please use this thread as an open discussion, I am happy to hear anyone who wants to disprove my feelings as this is born out of my own experience plus others I have seen post about it on similar forums. At this stage, I’m not quite sure how wide spread the issue is so I am using this to gauge that.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
Re: Class Action Lawsuit vs the Shutter intake Valve Recall.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:29:28 pm »

I would like to point out that this Forum and it's administrators have no involvement and are in no way responsible in any capacity with this survey and that any resulting issues caused by participation in this survey will be entirely at your own risk.

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline Willpower

• Administrator
  • Takuya Class
  • Watching events
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 11:53:28 pm »
>>  montecarlos

I must admit that I am sceptical over much of the content of your post and what makes it even more suspicious is that you have only joined the forum within the last week and this diatribe is your first posting.

Firstly. in England and Wales, there is no direct equivalent to US class actions. Perhaps you have been reading too many postings on American forums. If you are seriously considering this course, then I suggest you research what actions can be taken in the British courts.

Further you have just become a member and as such were required to input your model type, year and fuel type into your profile when when you joined  There seems to be a serious mismatch between the details in your profile and the details you have indicated in your posting.  This is a simple process and it is not easy to make as many mistakes as you have. 

I shall be watching this thread with some interest.

Mazda6 forums Administrator.

Look at life through the windscreen, not the rearview mirror.

Offline apav

• Takuya Class
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 02:51:39 pm »
I do not have this car generation.

You mention a problem called “intake shutter valve”.

You say that this is both a recall and a paid repair.

Which one is truer?

Did they recall some cars but then some more cars failed on this valve?

What does the repair involve in either a recall/free or service/paid version?

Is there a new part number to replace? Do they do any software or other hardware changes?

It is very tricky to measure fuel consumption on commuting driving. It just cannot happen in a reliable way.

You need to collect data over the longer term.

Then you need to argue about the quality of the repairs in terms of bad new part, same old part which did not fix the problem, other tuning on hardware and/or software, etc, and how this repair is related to the consumption.

Are you happy with the repair itself?

If you are not happy with the repair and you know that it can be done better, you should insist to fix your car under warranty.

If your concern after the recall is that it increased the fuel consumption, can you return the car to the previous state?

Maybe then you will get the old fuel consumption and you will be happy.

If they had to change hardware and software and they guarantee that everything went according to the plan, then you know that the car is fine but it has a side effect on the fuel consumption.

I honestly cannot see how you are going to win over this if they bring paperwork that the car is fine if your concern is the fuel consumption.

Just wake up early on a Sunday morning, go to the fuel station, fill up, drive around and return to fill up and calculate your consumption. Try to drive on the open road in the countryside. Driving through start stop traffic, traffic lights, accidents, roadworks, etc, is changing your parameters all the time. Driving on the quiet roads for 100-200-300 miles and measuring what you burnt, will give you some better indication of what is going on.