Author Topic: Stripped driveshaft threads - professional opinions sought  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Vyger

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2011
Stripped driveshaft threads - professional opinions sought
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:10:01 pm »
I got my car back from a local dealer telling me that the drive shaft threads stripped while removing the nut. The car was in for a bearing replacement and they informed me the nut became tight when trying to remove it. The mechanic didn't notice and thread damage before starting the job, I have owned the car from new and this drive shaft nut has never been removed before.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but in all my experience I have never seen threads stripped by removal of such a nut, if anything I would expech the nut to clean these theads if the were damaged before. I grew up through motorsport and prerparing cars, and also have 40+ years of experience as an electro mechanical engineer, I can find no such weakness previously reported on Google so seaking experience and opinions of others.

Thx in advance,

Offline mareng73

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Blue Reflex Mica (42B)
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: SE
  • Year: 2014
Re: Stripped driveshaft threads - professional opinions sought
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 04:27:03 pm »
I would say the mechanic is a cowboy and that the dealer should replace that driveshaft FOC they damaged it.
Mechanics are not trained properly these days and for them to be called 'technicians'  and do a job like that is an insult to real Technicians with qualifications to back them up, not some NVQ.
Previous Cars
Rover 45 TDI
Rover 400 DI
Nissan 200SX
TR7
TR Spitfire