Author Topic: 09 - 2.2 Diesel sport estate, engine knock.  (Read 4398 times)

Offline hodgsonp51

• S Class
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2009
09 - 2.2 Diesel sport estate, engine knock.
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:38:18 pm »
Hi,
Wondered if you guys may be able to shed any light on whether this is a common problem. I have just bought a 2.2 sport estate on apporx 30k miles from a main dealer. After driving the mazda home approx 120 miles all seems excellent and we were very pleased.
1 day later whilst driving to work on the motorway,  (only 5 miles from the house) the engine oil ligt came on, followed by some severe knocking immediately before I pulled over, Cut a long story short, recovered by the RAC under mazda aproved used warrenty and the car is now at a more local main dealer with the engine removed from the car for strip down.  Car has currently been there for a week while im in a hire car, and im still awaiting further info.
Im aware the 2.0ds suffer from DPF issues but was under the impression that the newer 2.2 units were pretty reliable, has a similar thing happened to anyone else?
Im now worried that the loss of oil pressure has probably wrecked the engine, at best done the main bearings.
 It worries me that it may have caused premature wear elsewhere in the engine and when my warrenty runs out in a year, i may have another failure.

Im considering my options at the moment whether to try and get a full refund. Anyone had any experience with a new engine under warrenty? I imagine they will only do it as a last resort.

Cheers,

Any help much asppreciated

Offline MicBarra

• Sport Class
  • Colour: Stormy Blue Mica (35J) Metallic
  • Trim: TS
Re: 09 - 2.2 Diesel sport estate, engine knock.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:55:53 pm »
Sounds like a cam chain stretched to beyond its limits.... Should be repaired under warranty... New engine more than likely as well
You laugh because I'm different.... I laugh because I farted!

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 04:13:24 pm »
Should be under warranty.

Offline hodgsonp51

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:26:20 pm »
Say best result hapens and a brand new engine is fitted, does the new engine come with a manufacturers warranty?
I am very much considering rejecting the car under the misale of goods act, unless I have a new warranty, as Ive lost all confidence in the engines that this couldnt happen again.