Author Topic: Steering problem  (Read 9036 times)

Offline arabinblack

• S Class
  • Colour: Black Mica (16W) Metallic
  • Engine: 2.2L
  • Fuel: Diesel
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Trim: Sport
  • Year: 2010
Steering problem
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:58:42 am »
I've got a Mazda 6 Sport and noticed a grinding/vibration from the steering column when steering at slow speeds, e.g. parking etc.  I took it to the Mazda dealer who said I had either hit a pothole or kerbed the car as the suspension and tracing were way out and quoted me £800 to fix.  The car is a lease car and so after discussion with them we agreed to go ahead and get the work done, even though I am adamant that I haven't kerbed the car, albeit I have gone over a few potholes but who hasn't on the roods in this country. 

The car was put in the garage on Monday and they are now saying it's a problem with the steering rack and will cast £2.5k to fix. >:( I am still adamant that I haven't hit anything that could cause this amount of damage and think that the garage are at it. 

I've been on a few forums/websites, mainly US ones and it seems there is a problem with this in Mazda's over there. I was wondering if anyone on here has had the same problem or heard of others who have?

Offline jbconno

• Takara Class
  • Year: 2013
Re: Steering problem
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:09:53 am »
If the tracking was out then you may notice the car pull to one side or the other. Does yours drive in a straight line ?

Offline tuckstar

• TS Class
  • bang tidy
  • Engine: 2.0L
  • Trim: TS2
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:42:09 am »
hi not had this problem my self but on the old forum there were a few people who thought that there steering rack was going but it turned out that they just needed to take steering wheel off (supposed to ge a 5 min job but as i said i havent tried) and grease the splines with a quality lithium grease. This is on first gen 6 but might be worth a go, i never trust big main dealer to be truthful especially with a lease car. Good luck mate. ;)
go hard or go home!!

Offline arabinblack

• S Class
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:00:09 am »
If the tracking was out then you may notice the car pull to one side or the other. Does yours drive in a straight line ?

It was pulling slightly to the left, but not greatly and certainly not something that would cost £2.5k to sort.

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:22:10 pm »
Grinding / vibration could be one of many things. To name a few

Simple tracking
Top strut bearings
Track rod ends
Steering colum bearings or uj's
Steering rack
Steering fluid contamination
Unbalance in wheels
even tyres

An that's not all, but unless you've been in an accident, or youve recently drove into a kerb at a stupid angle at speed, a whole steering rack sounds a bit drastic to me. An awful lot can be explained by out of like wheels so for me, that would be the first thing id check. Especially as you say iy was puling to the left.

Offline arabinblack

• S Class
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:39:51 pm »
Looks like I'm going to be stuck with paying the £2.5k, (or at least the company will). Really not happy with the Mazda garage, or indeed Mazda themselves, and feel that I'm being taken for a ride but there is little I can do about it as the garage have said it's unsafe to drive and now the company insurance won't cover me if I was in an accident.  Funny how it wasn't unsafe to drive two weeks ago when the first looked at the car

Offline rrobson

• TS2 Class
  • Trim: TS
  • Year: 2007
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:10:17 pm »
Well, as long as its not coming out of your pocket, I suppose thats all that matters. But like you say, its amazing how all of a sudden its a massive problem an the cars unsafe.
Hopefully it will get sorted as soon as, bit ive heard quite a few problems with mazda dealers and how they have ripped people off, even regarding warranty issues.
Keep us informed on how it all pans out  :)

Offline Angela

• TS Class
  • Engine: 2.3L
  • Fuel: Petrol
  • Year: 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »
There was a recall back inthe days i have owned my old m6 2.0 diesel , the power steering was always problematic on m6 , i think they are trying to shift the bill on you mate . They fixed the same problem on mine free of charge - very good dealers in Durham .